- Muskie MAX
- Global UGRAD Internship Program
- Project Smile
- Careers for Alumni in Public Service – CAPS
- TEA Small Grants Program
- ECA Alumni Small Grants Program
- M-TAG Blog
New Media Coordinator vacancy
On March 21, 2012
This text is also available in: Georgian
International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX)
Position: New Media Coordinator
Start Date: Immediately
Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
IREX is an international nonprofit organization providing leadership and innovative programs to improve the quality of education, strengthen independent media, and foster pluralistic civil society development. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of $60 million and a staff of 500 professionals worldwide. IREX and its partner IREX Europe deliver cross-cutting programs and consulting expertise in more than 100 countries.
Summary of Program
Georgian Media Enhance Democracy, Informed Citizenry and Accountability Program (G-MEDIA), funded by USAID, is to improve the public’s access to a range of sources of news and information by developing a more politically balanced, editorially independent, professional and viable media sector that reaches audiences across Georgia through diverse delivery channels. The program will seek to raise the quality and diversity of media content and broaden delivery channels; improve professionalism, including through university journalism education; depoliticize the regulatory environment and strengthen journalists’ capacity to address infringements to their rights and breaches of professional ethics; and improve the viability of media outlets.
Summary of Position:
The New Media Coordinator is a Tbilisi-based full time position and reports to the Chief of Party. New Media Coordinator will be responsible for serving as main point of contact in G-MEDIA on all new media-related matters.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
Description of Responsibilities:
- Counsel G-MEDIA senior management on new media-related needs and developments relevant to G-MEDIA implementation;
- Organize annual Media Innovation Camps with participation of media managers and journalists from conventional media, citizen journalists, journalism students, bloggers and technology activists and in cooperation with G-MEDIA resource partners:
- Select topics
- Select participants
- Select trainers
- Select teaching approaches
- Supervise implementation of training sessions and lectures
- Plan and implement various contests for participants to stimulate innovative thinking
- Design follow-up activities for time periods in between annual Innovation Camps to encourage participants to apply new knowledge to practice
- Organize various learning experiences and environments for G-MEDIA’s diverse beneficiaries. The formats include but are not limited to to in-house consulting, group training sessions, Information Sessions/lectures, field trips, study tours, demo classes, contests and presentations.
- Assist international and local trainers and G-MEDIA resources partners in preparing training modules and materials and advise them on local needs and conditions.
- Conduct trainings for various groups of beneficiaries.
- Provide in-house consulting to selected beneficiaries.
- Provide technical advice on new media applications to G-MEDIA beneficiaries and partners.
- To follow up the development of G-MEDIA partners websites and prepare reports on how to improve the online content and services.
- Attend and participate in professional group meetings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field; research products and enhancements and their applicability to G-MEDIA and its partners’ and beneficiaries’ need.
- Assist Senior Journalism Education Adviser and Journalism Education Coordinator with incorporation of new media component in the curricula of journalism schools.
- Counsel G-MEDIA local implementing partners (GYLA and TIG) on new media tools and applications.
- Provide consulting to GIPA CSJMM on how social networks and other new communication means can be used for e-learning and help with development of e-learning system.
- In cooperation with Grants/Finance Manager and G-MEDIA Senior Management designate money from New Media Technology Fund and Skills and Cross Platform Journalism Grants for various projects (assist in development of Call for Proposals, in assessing applications, preparing contracts with the winners and monitoring of project implementation).
- Work closely with the recipient of Media Portal Support Grant.
- In cooperation with G-MEDIA Media Literacy Consultant develop a strategy of integrating social media and other new media tools in media literacy component.
- Write monthly reports about the in-house new media-related activities and the activities that are provided to G-MEDIA partners and beneficiaries.
- Travel to Georgia’s regions and outside Georgia as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- University degree, Masters degree preferable;
- Fluency in Georgian and English languages, both spoken and written;
- High degree of computer literacy;
- Good understanding of social media, citizen journalism and other new media platforms and tools;
- Good understanding of opportunities that technological advances create for media;
- Familiarity with Georgian media landscape;
- Contacts with communities of bloggers, programmers and technology activists in Georgia;
- Journalistic experience/background in media preferable;
- Teaching and training experience;
- Strong event management skills;
- Strong presentation skills;
- Innovative thinking;
- Strong problem solving skills;
- Self-motivated and result oriented;
- Team player.
Please submit a cover letter and resume via email to IREX/Georgia at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, 6:00 pm, March 30, 2012. Please indicate name of vacancy in a subject line.
- GMPP Competition TV Broadcasters
- Tender for development of shared mobile multimedia application
- ტენდერი ვებ-გვერდის უნივერსალური შაბლონის შექმნაზე
- Regional Media Sustainability Initiative Call for Partnership Applications
- რეგიონული მედიის მდგრადობის ინიციატივა პარტნიორობის მსურველთა განაცხადების მიღება